Sunday, February 15, 2009

Weekend activities

I have two pre-teen sons. Our custody arrangement is for every other weekend. After the separation, on my custodial weekends, I brought kids back to her house at 5 PM on Sunday. When I realized that this wasn't customary, and it cut into football-watching time, or other summer activities, I asked miserable abandoned mom (MAM) if I could bring the kids back later. She refused of course, and it took many months and finally the courts to enact it. On her custodial weekends MAM won't let the kids play basketball, their favorite sport. She claims that it's because she doesn't play and it would take time away from her, but it's really because she knows I love to play b-ball with the kids. She's happy to have them go over friends' houses and play video games all day, but no bball. Recently the kids told me that if they ask to play, she takes away their computer privileges. We had a talk about how pretty soon, as they get older, MAM won't be able to limit their activities any longer. They were asked by the middle school bball coach to be on the team, so that will also extend their playing time. What do you do when a MAM won't allow the kids to enjoy activities they love? Especially if it's healthy and keeps them off the streets?

No comments:

Post a Comment